Table of Contents
- 1. 500 million people use the story function every day.
- 2. One billion people use Instagram every month.
- 3. The gender mix on Instagram is 52% female and 48% male.
- 4. 63% of Instagram users log in at least once per day.
- 5. In 2020, Instagram users will spend an average of 28 minutes per day on the app.
- 6. In 2020, 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile daily.
- 7. Instagram’s potential advertising reach is 849.3 million users in 2020.
- 8. One-third of the most viewed Instagram stories are from businesses
- 9. 75.3% of U.S. businesses will use Instagram in 2020.
- 10. In 2020, Brands will post an average of 2.5 stories a week.
- 11. According to Statista, 71% of Instagram users are under the age of 35.
- 12. In 2020, Instagram can generate over 4 times more interactions on the platform compared to Facebook.
- 13. Omnicore Agency found that everyday Instagram users upload an average of 100+ million photos.
- 14. Mention Reports found that video posts have the highest overall engagement rate– 38% higher than image posts.
- 15. In 2020, the average number of likes per Instagram post is 1,261.
- 16. According to Google Trends, In 2020, every month there will be 16.6 million Google searches for “Instagram”.
- 17. According to Telegraph, UK, Pizza is the most popular Instagram’d food, behind sushi and steak.
- 18. Marking its roots back to 2010, Instagram is growing 5 times faster than overall social network usage in the United States.
- 19. With over 157 million followers, professional Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed person on Instagram.
- 20. In the spirit of the month of love, Instagram reported that #love will be the most popular hashtag of 2020.
What is an Instagram account without the statistics that make it so great? Quite frankly, an Instagram without the impressive numbers could very well be your Aunt Linda’s account that everyone winces at her every post. Instagram reaches over a billion active users, with more and more business and eCommerce tools on the way. The following statistics were found on Social Media Today, if not otherwise indicated.
1. 500 million people use the story function every day.
The first of the Instagram statistics is mouth-gaping and deals with the feature that Instagram users can’t seem to live without– Instagram story. What better way to share your day to day adventures without dreading the timeline with an actual post. Out of the one billion users on Instagram, half of this population posts onto their story every day. Not once a month, once a week, this refers to day to day posts. Therefore, this 500 million population finds time within their 24-hour day to post on their Instagram story. This statistic is huge and will continue to grow.
2. One billion people use Instagram every month.
This is the same number of the overall users of Instagram. Meaning, Instagram has a loyal crowd of one billion. All users of Instagram are on it every month. Out of the 7.53 billion people in the world, one-seventh of the entire world’s population is using Instagram. There are more people on Instagram than there are in the United States. That is something to think about…
3. The gender mix on Instagram is 52% female and 48% male.
The following Instagram statistic is some food for thought. These results are pretty even, and most would assume a higher population of females than males. 4% difference doesn’t seem like much, but on a one billion-user scale it ends up pretty even. So, the next time someone says Instagram is for girls, direct them to the underwhelming 4% difference.
4. 63% of Instagram users log in at least once per day.
63% of one billion results in 630 million Instagram users entering their log-in information every day. This could involve those who took a hiatus or are trying to sneak it during work. Over half the users of Instagram go through this process every day, to enter their happy world of Instagram.
5. In 2020, Instagram users will spend an average of 28 minutes per day on the app.
For iPhone users, this next of the Instagram statistics will remind you of the lovely screen reporting system just automatically downloaded to our devices. On Sundays, many of us dread to see the average times we spend looking at our screens. Making Sunday Scaries a little scarier. Let’s say an average individual is awake for 12 hours a day, taking 28 minutes to spend on Instagram equates to spending 2.3% of your day on the app. I believe this is a healthy amount but it will steadily increase as more and more users are making profiles.
View this post on Instagram
Anyone planning their 2020 travel feeling overwhelmed? @experiencekissimmee reached out to me this month about getting ‘Whelmed’ instead. Rather than feeling overwhelmed by planning or underwhelmed by experiences on a trip…the perfect moment in between is when you’re ‘Whelmed.’ Those are the memorable moments. So funny (and catchy!). My ‘Whelmed’ moments in Kissimmee: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ✔️Feeling transported back to Morocco at Epcot (where this first photo is taken!) ✔️The most picturesque field where these horses came over to greet us ✔️ Spotting our first alligator, on our first airboat ride ✔️ Our sunset ride at Expedition Everest at Walt Disney World ✔️ Dessert after dark (best churros EVER, they’re in my Kissimmee guide) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ And lots more in my IG stories! #MyKissimmee #Whelmed #Ad
6. In 2020, 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile daily.
As most millennials might not believe, businesses are infiltrating our social platform as a way to further their sales and business. Out of the one billion users in total, 20% visit a business profile to do their online shopping. Ecommerce has been at the height of its potential with our generation turning digital, and businesses on Instagram are reaping the benefits.
7. Instagram’s potential advertising reach is 849.3 million users in 2020.
This includes companies that do not have an Instagram account but utilize the platform to advertise their products. This is an astounding statistic, and it points to the special worth Instagram has for many businesses that use its services. Nearly 90% of Instagram users will be exposed to advertising from Instagram. What more could you ask for?
8. One-third of the most viewed Instagram stories are from businesses
Back to the good ole Instagram story tool. Instagram allows us to view who “viewed” our story, which could be the start of some major drama, or can just ease the needs of a nosy person like myself. Instagram has compiled the most viewed Instagram stories, alongside major influencers such as Justin Bieber and the Kardashian family. An impressive Instagram statistic, that also aids the argument that businesses are immersing themselves into social media to make a name for themselves on a different platform than brick and mortar. Next time you scroll through your friends’ stories, keep in mind you will run into businesses using their creative juices to get your attention.
View this post on Instagram
Never too late for a coffee break. are you already prepared for Valentines Day guys? If not, make sure to check out @paul_hewitt`s range of engravable accessoires. Always a great idea and you can now get the engraving for free for a short time 😉 ______________________ #kostawilliams #getAnchored #paulhewitt •ANZEIGE
9. 75.3% of U.S. businesses will use Instagram in 2020.
One billion Instagram users can’t simply all be on for social pleasure… right? Well, apparently not in 2020. Instagram statistics like this show more than 2/3 of the businesses we see on a daily basis are invading our Instagram feeds! No fear, what comes with Instagram clout will hopefully bring us some discounts. Instagram is transforming into an online marketplace for businesses. This change is inevitable, as we see more and more influencers enter the scene and promote the best products. In a perfect world, it is our job to keep the puppies and life updates on our feed, with some discounts mixed in!
10. In 2020, Brands will post an average of 2.5 stories a week.
Brand-name Instagram accounts are interesting, to say the least, as they allow us to see exactly how they run their brand. We have seen similar efforts on Twitter, regarding the Wendy’s avatar and the hilarious comebacks they have. Lululemon also exemplifies an interesting Instagram brand, while turning our feed into that of a zen place perfect for us yogis. Meaning, our feeds will embrace the creative side of our favorite brand, and we can build our following based on our shopping tendencies. Sign me up!
11. According to Statista, 71% of Instagram users are under the age of 35.
Out of the one billion users that scroll through the lovely Instagram platform, it is little to no surprise that the majority are young adults. Furthermore, the single most popular age range of users is between 25-34, followed by the group of 18-24. Understanding specific demographics is especially important for businesses, by tailoring their content to their target market. This can also help them with the creation of captions, by understanding the important jargon to use. Some food for thought…
12. In 2020, Instagram can generate over 4 times more interactions on the platform compared to Facebook.
Some of us may have forgotten how to open up Facebook, or how important it was to us in the early days. We often are reminded by our phones, “You have memories from 10 years ago…” that we so graciously open crossing our fingers it’s not too embarrassing. Facebook is Instagram’s parent social media platform, therefore they have FB to thank for all their success. The younger generation has seemed to believe they have lost their parents’ population on Instagram, but that is not the case anymore. The constant growth of Instagram users brings more opportunities for interactions, resulting in increased social communication. Which is every social media platform’s goal!
13. Omnicore Agency found that everyday Instagram users upload an average of 100+ million photos.
What is Instagram without the content from its users? What a number that is! Therefore, as Instagram users, we have access to over 100 million photos a day. Maybe that’s why we can’t seem to look up from our phones? Instagram is overflowing with content, some that you can’t ignore and some that you aimlessly scroll right through. But, you will never run out of pictures to look at, no matter the size of your following!
14. Mention Reports found that video posts have the highest overall engagement rate– 38% higher than image posts.
Most Instagram users believe photos are the safe bet to get some recognition, but I am here to tell you this notion has changed! The introduction of video posts on Instagram has only done the app some good. Users can let their followers enter the same world as them while sharing a life-like representation through personal videos. This is one of the Instagram statistics that are important to us users because it allows us to think twice before deciding to post a screenshot or the hilarious video you can’t stop watching.
View this post on Instagram
Who is ready for tonights @cestnormal drop? 😅😍🙌🏼 Lots of new stuff to be released including new Pink, Marron and Arctic white hoodies and T shirts made from leftover fabrics to minimize shipments involved in production. Bikinis and swimsuits are made from recycled Mediterranian sea plastic, comfy gala pants etc etc! Hope you guys like it! Dropping at 9pm CET tonight! Make sure to follow @cestnormal to get all updates on the drop!
15. In 2020, the average number of likes per Instagram post is 1,261.
The following Instagram statistic from Mention Reports is not supposed to make all you 300-max-Instagram follower count feel sorry for yourselves. But rather, this stat should bring hope and excitement. You might be thinking, “yeah for a celebrity maybe?” This four-digit number proves the increasing engagement that social media users are experiencing. In the digital world, we like to call it “showing some love.” That is exactly what every 1,261 Instagram user is attempting to do!
16. According to Google Trends, In 2020, every month there will be 16.6 million Google searches for “Instagram”.
Google is the motherland for all things online-research related. It seems to solve all of our problems, (and yes it does). I believe everyone is guilty of exclaiming, “let’s just google it!”. Google is the vehicle many people use to scroll on their beloved Instagram account. With so much consumer interaction, it is not surprising that Instagram is one of the most sought out words on Google. Google and Instagram are working together to take over social interaction, and we don’t mind it!
17. According to Telegraph, UK, Pizza is the most popular Instagram’d food, behind sushi and steak.
We all are guilty of showing our followers our favorite #grub of the day, and what better of the Instagram statistics to talk about involves exactly this. As humans, we are excited to share our delicious findings of favorite food places. Let’s be honest, (I apologize to any gluten allergies out there) who doesn’t love to look at a thick (or thin crust) piece of pizza? It is often mesmerizing, and after reading this statistic you will be convinced only pizza is on your timeline.
View this post on Instagram
A classic New York City moment. 🍕🚕 Caught in the rain with my slice of dollar pizza. Reason # 28372948 why I love this city… $1 pizza on every corner at all hours of the day/night. FYI, my cute puffer coat is from @USPoloAssn – keeping me warm & dry 😇 Have you had NYC dollar pizza? Comment below with a “🍕” if so!! #ad #USPoloAssn #USPAxME
18. Marking its roots back to 2010, Instagram is growing 5 times faster than overall social network usage in the United States.
Like the saying, “if you can’t beat em, join em”, which seems to be the case for each Instagram user signing up daily. Compared to Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat– Instagram is the quickest growing social media platform and will continue to be throughout the new decade.
19. With over 157 million followers, professional Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed person on Instagram.
He is the king of the platform, and nearly 16% of Instagram users follow him. He puts up a fight next to the many Instagram greats and makes his name be heard! New to Instagram? Go ahead and follow who everyone else is following, you will catch on!
20. In the spirit of the month of love, Instagram reported that #love will be the most popular hashtag of 2020.
As the Beatles say, All You Need Is Love– and Instagram users are quite frankly feeling the love! Hashtags seem to be a thing of the past, but Instagram statistics show that they are not going anywhere.
We have many things to look forward to at the turn of the new decade, and these are some of the best. Instagram has made the social interactive world a better place, and these Instagram statistics show exactly that.