Table of Contents
- Short-Form vs. Long-Form Content
- Why is TikTok Shifting to Long Form Content?
- Creators Excelling By Longer TikTok Content
- What Are the Perks of Long Form Content?
- Utilizing TikTok Long Form Content Creators in Campaigns
- Key Takeaways
Dive into the wild ride of TikTok’s makeover! They’ve ditched the 60-second cap and gone full-on 10-minute marathon mode. Yep, you heard it right! The short TikToks we all know and love are making room for something longer, juicier, and a tad rebellious. We’re talking about the switch from quick bites to a full-on feast of content.
In this blog, we’re unpacking the buzz around TikTok’s long form glow-up and trends. Picture creators going from “blink and you’ll miss it” to “grab your popcorn, this might take a while.” Businesses are catching onto the vibe, teaming up with long-form champs to boost their street cred, give their products the nod, and cook up some seriously slick marketing moves.
Did you know that NeoReach runs world-class influencer marketing campaigns? Check out our case studies here!
Short-Form vs. Long-Form Content
Short-form content has been the reigning champ, with its snappy, bite-sized videos clocking in at 60 seconds or less. It’s the stuff that keeps us scrolling and double-tapping. No longer confined by the stopwatch, TikTok’s creators are stretching their wings and embracing a more extensive format, giving us a whopping 10 minutes to soak in their creativity. But one question remains: what’s better? Let’s go over some of the benefits.
Long Form vs Short Form Content
Short clips have been the lifeblood of TikTok, offering quick hits of entertainment that cater to our fast-paced, always-on-the-go lifestyles. It’s the perfect content for those stolen moments waiting for a bus or standing in line for coffee. However, TikTok long-form content is the main course. This immersive experience lets creators delve deep into their narratives, showcase their talents, and engage audiences on a more profound level.
TikTok Short Form Content
Read ahead to hear some of the best advantages of both short-form and long-form content and why your business might benefit from each medium.
- Instant Gratification: Quick and catchy content satisfies short attention spans and those with bustling lives.
- Virality: Easier to share and, therefore, easier to viral due to the shareability of short, impactful moments.
- Easy consumption for viewers: Longer content takes more time to process and consume in comparison to short clips.
- Limited Depth: Short form videos lack depth and originality that long form content creates.
- Missed Opportunities: Short form grants creators less time to build connections or properly convey messages.
- Doomscrolling: Research shows that while short content releases dopamine in the brain, this overabundance can enable social media addictions and doomscrolling behaviors.
- Lower conversion rates: Because of short forms’ inability to connect with wider demographics, they lack the conversion rates of high-quality, long-form content.
TikTok Long Form Content
- Narrative Depth: Allows creators to explore stories and ideas in detail without missing out on important bids that otherwise would be covered in different clips.
- Personalized Clips and Interactions: Creators can produce personalized content that’ll especially hit home with a niche community with shared experiences.
- Higher Conversation Rates: Short form has higher engagement and reach, but long form content has increased conversion rates.
- Audience Time Commitment: In our bustling world, it isn’t easy for people to find time to engage with longer forms of content.
- Production Times and Costs: Longer content takes more time to plan and execute. Brands and creators must create scripts for skits to properly cover everything in their videos. In addition, longer content requires more allocated resources to produce high-quality content.
- Won’t Guarantee High Reach: While short videos have higher reach, long form content doesn’t always guarantee higher traction. To maximize longer content benefits, prioritize your editing, marketing, and content message.
TikTok’s shift from short-form to TikTok long-form content opens up a spectrum of possibilities, challenging creators to strike the right balance between quick hits and extended narratives. Whether it’s the thrill of a snappy dance routine or the satisfaction of a story well told, TikTok’s new feature lets creators cater to diverse preferences, ensuring there’s something for everyone on the ever-evolving platform.
Why is TikTok Shifting to Long Form Content?
TikTok’s recent transformation isn’t just a minor tweak; it’s a full-blown evolution. The platform, once synonymous with lightning-fast clips, has now embraced a more leisurely pace with extended 10-minute videos. This shift from quick takes to cinematic storytelling marks a pivotal moment in TikTok’s narrative, giving creators a canvas where they can paint more intricate tales.
A hunger for deeper engagement drives the shift from short-form to long-form content on TikTok. Creators are seizing the opportunity to craft narratives that go beyond surface-level entertainment, offering audiences a chance to dive into a story, learn a new skill, or experience an adventure that unfolds over time. TikTok’s decision reflects an acknowledgment that users are ready for more than just fleeting moments—they want content that lingers.
Social media algorithms are constantly evolving to cater to the creator economy’s exponential growth. Learn all about social media algorithms at this NeoReach blog!
Creators Excelling By Longer TikTok Content
Creators across genres are thriving in this new era. The most popular way new creators are leveraging this new format is in the form of long-form blogs. Content creators no longer have to cram a whole day into 60 seconds. Now, they have the freedom to take a slower approach and share more details than what was previously possible.
One example of a creator embarrassing this new format is @sophia.panella. In the example above, she takes her viewers on a trip with her. The longer form of content allows her to take it a lot slower and not have to rush her vlog. With the help of Sophia’s creative and authentic approach to travel and lifestyle content, she has seen impressive growth on her TikTok.
day in my life! lmk if you more of these long-form vlogs 🙂 (full video ~7 minutes)
Another example of this format is from @reese.regan in her day-to-day life. Striving for a more organic approach, Reese gets to show a more authentic daily routine, showcasing more of her life without short form’s notorious time constraints. This content format is likely to be popular among Influencers Embracing Simple Living, and a more grounded approach. Just like Sophia, Reese has seen overwhelming success on TikTok, and her analytics exponentially skyrocketed earlier this year.
What Are the Perks of Long Form Content?
TikTok’s content isn’t just about the minutes on the clock. TikTok is about creating content that speaks volumes and serves a purpose.
The extended format provides ample space for storytelling, enabling creators to unfold narratives, share detailed insights, and build a more profound connection with their audience. Unlike the rush of short-form content, TikTok long-form allows for a more immersive experience, fostering discussion and community. TikTok creators have since vocalized their passion for more long-form content because of its increased interaction and creativity.
Likewise, the extended runtime allows for more comprehensive storytelling, attracting viewers who seek substance and a genuine connection. Additionally, the algorithm rewards engaging content, potentially boosting visibility and opening doors to new followers. For more information on the TikTok algorithm, read our recent blog: Social Media Algorithms Explained.
In addition, creators leveraging TikTok long-form find themselves not just telling stories but building communities, expanding their reach organically as viewers become invested in the unfolding narrative. The shift to longer content is proving to be a strategic move for creators, offering a richer creative space and a pathway to broader horizons.
Utilizing TikTok Long Form Content Creators in Campaigns
How Businesses Can Utilize Long Form Creators
To elevate your marketing game, businesses must tap into TikTok’s narrative potential. Unlike the brevity of traditional advertising, long-form collaborations allow brands to seamlessly integrate their products or services into compelling stories. This not only fosters a more authentic connection with the audience but also provides an opportunity for in-depth product exploration, demonstrating utility and value in a way that goes beyond a quick pitch.
For more about TikTok for marketing and the TikTok Shop, check out our Ultimate TikTok Shop Report for Brands and Businesses blog!
How to Find and Work With Creators
Finding the right TikTok long-form content creator involves scouting for individuals whose storytelling aligns with your brand ethos. TikTok’s discoverability features, coupled with hashtags and trends, make it easier to identify potential collaborators. Establish connections, engage with creators, comment on their videos, and express interest in partnerships.
By building authentic relationships, businesses can harness the storytelling prowess of long-form content creators, creating marketing assets that resonate with audiences on a deeper level. To secure current and future partnerships, remember to pay creators fairly. Learn about the different ways to compensate influencers here!
In traversing TikTok’s evolution, we’ve observed the seismic shift from content mediums. While short-form continues to thrive in its quick-hit charm, TikTok long-form content emerges as a formidable companion, enabling creators to paint intricate narratives and deeper connections.
However, TikTok’s embrace of long-form isn’t merely an update—it’s a commitment to creativity. As businesses collaborate with TikTok long-form creators, a new era of marketing unfolds, valuing storytelling over selling. The synergy between creators and brands in the long-form realm signifies the platform’s evolution as a powerful force in the creator economy.
The journey from short-form to long-form on TikTok reflects boundless storytelling possibilities, ushering creators and businesses into uncharted waters of narrative exploration. The waves of change on TikTok are not a trend—they’re a permanent shift, shaping a future of limitless storytelling.
For more social media news, check out our blog on Meta Cross-Platform Communication Shutting Down.