Table of Contents
Are you ready to become the next TikTok sensation? With over 1 billion active users, TikTok has quickly become the fastest-growing social media platform, and for good reason. With its unique algorithm and endless possibilities for creativity, TikTok offers users the opportunity to share their passions and talents with the world.
If you’re just getting started from scratch, it’s important to cover the basics to set yourself up for success. Going viral won’t happen overnight, but with attention to detail, you can quickly build a base and grow followers, setting the foundation for going viral.
Don’t just jump into filming and editing your first TikTok video, it’s important to set up your profile correctly. In this beginner’s guide, we’ll be walking you through the steps of creating a killer TikTok profile that will help you gain a following and go viral.
With more influencers on TikTok in 2023 than ever, you have to focus on attention to detail to stand out from the crowd.
Start with Picking a Niche:
First things first, let’s talk about niche. TikTok is a diverse platform with a wide range of content, and it’s important to find a niche that you’re passionate about and that resonates with your target audience. Some examples of niches that have proven to be popular among different age groups include:
- Teens: Music, Dancing, Lip Syncing, High School Life and Comedy
- College: Dorm Room Hacks, Makeup Tutorials, and Study Tips
- Young Adults: Skincare, Home Decor, and Personal Development
- Parents: Parenting Tips, Home Improvement, Money Saving Hacks
TikTok is known for “ForYou” page. This helps content go viral in the relevant audience segment. Without a clear niche, it’s very challenging to find a target audience. Make sure you have a specific group in mind for your videos.
Step 1: The Basics of Setting up a Strong Profile
Once you’ve identified your niche, it’s time to set up your profile.
Pick a catchy and brandable username: The first step is creating a consistent and catchy username and theme for your page. Your username should be easy to remember and relevant to your niche. As for your theme, choose colors and aesthetics that align with your brand or personal message.
This is not something that you will change, so make sure you love it, make sure it’s easy to pronounce and spell, and make sure it’s catchy!
Write a clear bio that summarizes your niche: Next, it’s time to craft an effective bio that accurately communicates your brand or personal message. Your bio should be short, sweet, and to the point, and should give your followers a clear idea of what they can expect from your content.
Optimize the basics for TikTok’s Search Algorithm: Finally, you’ll want to optimize your profile for search and discovery. This includes using relevant hashtags, adding keywords to your bio, and linking to other social media platforms where you have a presence. By taking these steps, you’ll increase your chances of being discovered by new followers.
Step 2: Creating Your Very First TikTok Video
Now that you have a killer profile, it’s time to start creating content that will engage your followers and help you grow your following.
It’s important to take the time to identify and understand your target audience. Who are they? What are their interests? What kind of content do they engage with? By understanding your audience, you’ll be able to create content that resonates with them and keeps them coming back for more. Build a strong mental model of exactly who it is you want to reach.
It often helps to introduce open your early videos by speaking to your audience with phrases like:
- “Want to improve your dorm room?” > Targets college students
- “How I redecorated my apartment for $100” > Targets young adults
- “If you’re like me and suffer from anxeity” > Speaks directly to people and creates a feeling of overlap between the viewer and you.
When it comes to filming and editing your videos, it’s important to focus on creating high-quality content that stands out. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- The Importance of Natural Lighting: Good lighting can make a huge difference in the quality of your videos. Natural light is always best, but if that’s not an option, invest in some affordable lighting equipment to brighten up your shots.
- Effects: TikTok is known for its fun and creative effects. Experiment with different effects and filters to add some extra pizazz to your videos.
- Don’t Reinvent the Wheel! Use other Viral TikTok’s as Inspiration: Take a look at other viral TikToks in your niche to get inspiration for your own content. Pay attention to what works and what doesn’t, and use that information to improve your own videos.
Step 3: Getting your First 1,000 Followers
Quick Summary of Tips for Growing when you’re starting from zero followers.
- Watch time is key: TikTok’s algorithm favors videos that people watch for longer periods of time. Focus on creating content that will keep people engaged.
- Post frequently: the more you post, the faster you’ll grow. Aim to post multiple times a day.
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments and messages, and try to start conversations with your followers. Building a community of engaged users can help increase engagement on your posts, which can in turn help boost your visibility on the platform.
- Utilize popular trends and challenges: Pay attention to popular trends and challenges on TikTok, and try to incorporate them into your content in a way that aligns with your niche. This can help increase your visibility and attract new followers.
- Be original: don’t just copy other accounts.
- Niche down: pick a specific topic or theme for your content and stick to it. Research popular hashtags and videos in your niche to get inspiration.
- Analyze your analytics: check your TikTok insights regularly to see which of your videos are performing well. Use this information to create more of the content that your audience is responding to.
- Create a hashtag: as your following grows, create your own unique hashtag and encourage your followers to use it. This will help you track the reach of your content and increase visibility.
- Collaborate with other creators: Collaborating with other creators can be a great way to reach new audiences and increase your visibility on the platform. Look for creators in your niche and reach out to them to see if they would be interested in working together on a video.
One of the most important things to keep in mind is consistency. Fans expect to see regular content from their favorite creators, and if you’re not posting regularly, they’re likely to lose interest. Additionally, consistency is great for the TikTok algorithm, which will reward you with increased visibility if it sees that you’re regularly creating and posting content.
Another important aspect of growing your following is promoting your TikTok account on other social media platforms. This can be a great way to reach a larger audience and gain new followers. However, it’s important to avoid making silly mistakes like uploading vertical videos to YouTube. Make sure to properly format your videos for each platform and make use of the unique features of each one.
Networking and collaborating with other TikTok creators is also an effective way to grow your following. Start by reaching out to micro-creators in your niche, and then build relationships with them. Collaborating with other creators can be a great way to tap into their following and gain exposure to new audiences. And remember, you don’t need to be in person to collaborate – there are many ways to collaborate remotely on TikTok.
Step 4: Know what’s Going Viral in 2023. Hop on the Trends!
Being timely is everything. According to Data from Influencer Marketing Hub and NeoReach, the following hashtags are currently viral as of Jan 2023.
Popular Hashtags for 2023:
TikTok Video Trends for 2023:
Behind the scenes (BTS) content: Behind the Scenes on TikTok is becoming increasingly popular as it allows users to get a glimpse of what happens behind the scenes in various workplaces, schools, and daily lives. This type of content can be particularly engaging as it offers a more personal and authentic perspective on the businesses or individuals being featured.
In the workplace, BTS content can give viewers a better understanding of the day-to-day operations of a business and the hard work that goes into it. This can be particularly effective for businesses in industries such as manufacturing, construction, or service-based businesses.
Similarly, BTS content in schools can give viewers a more in-depth look at the education system and the work that teachers and students put in to achieve their goals. It can also help to humanize educators and give a better understanding of their dedication to their profession.
Day in the Life: This content is also very popular on TikTok. It allows users to see a glimpse of the day-to-day life of an individual or a family. It can be a great way to connect with the audience and to build trust. It can also be used to promote a product or a service.
Make Space for Joy: TikTok shares an official position that content that “makes space for joy”. will be prioritized. This means Self-care ideas, like well-being life hacks, and uplifting videos will be prioritized. Keep content lighthearted and upbeat to improve your odds.
Take the leap and don’t be afraid!
TikTok is a unique and rapidly growing social media platform with endless possibilities for creativity. To become a TikTok sensation, it is important to set up a strong profile and niche, create high-quality content that resonates with your target audience, and engage with your followers to build a community. By following these tips and focusing on attention to detail, you can set the foundation for going viral and growing your following on TikTok. Remember, going viral won’t happen overnight, but with patience, hard work and consistency, you can achieve your goal of becoming a TikTok sensation.
Once you get a base of followers, influencer marketing platforms like NeoReach would love to partner with you and help you monetize. Don’t be a afraid to reach out to our talent team once you start picking up a follower base.