Table of Contents
In the bustling world of social media platforms, a new contender has joined the ranks, promising to revolutionize the way we connect, share, and engage. Enter Threads, a freshly minted application from Instagram, focused on enabling text-based updates and public conversations. Crafted by the innovative minds behind Instagram, Threads presents a standalone platform dedicated to facilitating real-time updates and public discourse. If you’ve found value in Instagram’s capability to unite billions across the globe via photos and videos, Threads expands this experience into the realm of textual communication.
The ambition? To create a positive, creative platform for idea expression and engagement.
This article will explore Threads and discuss the future of influencer marketing on threads and what brands need to know.
Starting Your Threads Journey
The Threads team has meticulously developed tools to foster positive, productive discussions. You are in control of who can interact with you within Threads, from mentions to replies. Just like Instagram, Threads allows you to filter out unwanted content by adding hidden words, and provides easy options to unfollow, block, restrict, or report a profile. The enforcement of Instagram’s Community Guidelines ensures a safe and respectful environment for users.
Engaging with Threads is an effortless process. Leveraging your Instagram account, you can log in and instantly access this new platform, even carrying over your Instagram username and verification, while simultaneously customizing your profile specifically for Threads. To prioritize safety and privacy, profiles of users below 16 years old (or under 18 in some countries) will be set to private by default.
Threads makes accessibility a top priority, carrying over features like screen reader support and AI-generated image descriptions from Instagram. The new platform welcomes your current Instagram connections, while also nudging you towards new creators that might pique your interest. The content in Threads can be versatile, including posts of up to 500 characters, links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes in length, and offering easy sharing across multiple platforms, including Instagram.
What’s On The Horizon?
In the pursuit of a more open internet, Threads plans to incorporate ActivityPub, the open social networking protocol established by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). This integration would make Threads interoperable with other applications supporting the ActivityPub protocol, such as Mastodon and WordPress, facilitating unique connections currently not possible on many existing social media platforms.
Threads is keen on decentralizing social media, echoing the protocols governing email and the web itself. This shift would allow developers to build new features and user experiences, accelerating innovation and experimentation. Furthermore, each compatible app could set its own community standards and content moderation policies, providing users the freedom to choose spaces that align with their values.
As the first Meta app aiming to be compatible with an open social networking protocol, Threads is committed to expanding user control over their audience. Users will have the option to transfer their content to another service, and potentially interact with people on Threads from compatible apps without needing a Threads account, and vice versa. This new approach, marked by diverse and interconnected networks, may well signal a new era in the realm of online platforms.
Launching initially in 100 countries, Threads is unfortunately absent in the European Union due to complexities with impending laws. However, Meta is determined to navigate this hurdle in the near future.
A Direct Challenge To Twitter
The emergence of Threads comes amidst changes in the social media landscape, including Twitter’s recent “volatility” under Elon Musk’s leadership. While Twitter remains a dominant player with its unique network and vibrant community, Threads perceives an opportunity in this environment to provide a more open, community-focused platform.
Despite the inherent risk of launching a new platform in a well-established market, Instagram’s Adam Mosseri remains optimistic. Threads present an exciting challenge, looking to carve out its niche by leveraging Instagram’s vast user base. It remains to be seen how the platform will fare and evolve, but with its ambitious vision and robust suite of features, Threads may just be the next big thing in the social media world.
Threads may share certain similarities with Twitter – the main feed displays posts or “threads” from followed accounts, and you can repost with your own commentary. But it also offers unique features. The platform currently has no ads, and no feed of only people you follow, although that might change in the future. It brings the convenience of sharing posts directly to Instagram, with the capability of linking Threads posts on other apps, which Mosseri predicts could be pivotal in boosting its initial userbase.
Threads vs. Twitter In A Nutshell:
- Threads only displays an algorithmic timeline similar to Facebook and Instagram, with no option for a reverse chronological timeline showing the most recent posts like Twitter.
- The algorithmic timeline in Threads also includes posts from accounts the user does not follow, a feature that Twitter restricts to its “For You” timeline.
- Threads is currently a mobile-only platform, allowing users to make posts, comment, and follow others only through its mobile app, unlike Twitter, which offers these features on its website too.
- There is currently no mention of a native desktop or web browser experience on Meta’s official announcement about Threads, which is limited to viewing people’s posts and profile pages.
- Hashtags, a defining feature of Twitter, are absent from Threads, which does not allow users to search for specific content.
- There is no “trending section” on Threads, and discovering content on the platform relies on what Meta’s algorithm chooses to display.
The Future of Influencer Marketing on Threads
With Threads’ emergence in the social media landscape, it brings along transformative implications for influencer marketing. While Instagram has dominated the influencer space in the past years, Threads’ focus on text-based sharing offers a unique spin, calling for fresh strategies.
Celebrity endorsements from the likes of Karlie Kloss, Tony Robbins, and Gordon Ramsay have already started trickling in. It’s clear that Meta has engaged in a strategic onboarding of celebrities from diverse fields to endorse Threads ahead of its public release, which could significantly contribute to the platform’s initial surge in popularity.
Are you already a popular creator? Here is what you need to know
For creators already established on platforms like Instagram or Twitter, Threads signifies new horizons. To thrive, influencers should be prepared to:
- Master Text-Based Communication: Threads’ emphasis on text provides an opportunity for influencers to showcase their writing prowess. For those less accustomed to text-heavy content, brushing up on writing skills or hiring a talented copywriter might be a good idea.
- Combine Visual and Textual Content: Although Threads is text-focused, it still supports sharing images and videos. Existing creators should leverage their visual content skills while also incorporating meaningful text to engage their audience in deeper conversations.
- Adapt to Open Protocols: Threads’ integration with ActivityPub invites the possibility of a wider audience reach. Influencers should familiarize themselves with these open social networking protocols and be ready to adjust their content strategies accordingly.
Are you a brand or marketing manager? Consider the following
- Text-Based Advertising: While Threads currently has no ads, this could change in the future. Brands should prepare for the possibility of text-based advertising, aligning their strategies to engage audiences through captivating textual content.
- Collaborations with Skilled Writers: Partnering with influencers who excel in writing can help brands create powerful messages and stories that resonate with the Threads community.
- Engage in Public Conversations: Threads’ focus on public discourse provides an avenue for brands to join or initiate discussions relevant to their industry or values, thereby boosting their visibility and engagement.
- Cross-Platform Marketing: With the interoperability that ActivityPub offers, brands can plan for cross-platform marketing campaigns, reaching out to audiences beyond just Threads.
- Diversify Influencer Partnerships: Given Threads’ emphasis on text, brands may consider collaborating with a new set of influencers, including authors, journalists, or thought leaders, who can wield the power of the written word effectively.
To Wrap Things Up
The advent of Threads certainly disrupts the status quo in social media marketing, pushing influencers and brands alike to rethink their content strategies. However, with change comes opportunity – and those who adapt swiftly and effectively to the new landscape that Threads offers are likely to reap the rewards. In the rapidly evolving world of social media, Threads, with its innovative integration of Instagram’s features and a promise of openness and interoperability, stands as a game-changer. Its commitment to user safety, control, and creative expression sets it apart, aligning with Meta’s vision to help people find their community, no matter what app they use. Undeniably, Threads brings a fresh perspective to the table and signals an exciting new chapter in the social media narrative. Whether it lives up to its promise or not, only time will tell.
Interested in getting your brand on Threads with some popular influencers? Contact us and we will get you started. All pioneers are welcome!